Cat blood bank
Join our cat blood donor register
Could your cat be the lifeline one of our feline patient’s needs by donating blood in an emergency?
Due to our usual feline blood supplier closing and a shortage of cat blood in Europe, Fitzpatrick Referrals Orthopaedics and Neurology is now looking to build a register of local cats we can call on to donate blood in an emergency situation.
- Aged between 1 and 8 years old
- Has never received a blood transfusion before
- Be 4.5kg or greater in weight
- Good temperament at the vets
- Fully vaccinated (although not 10-14 days before donation)
- Never travelled abroad
- Healthy and not receiving any medication
- Test negative for FeLV, FIV (we will test this)
- Live close to Fitzpatrick Referrals Orthopaedics and Neurology (GU7 2QQ) – ideally within a 30-minute drive
Complimentary infectious disease screening and blood type test
Cats who join Fitzpatrick Referrals blood bank register will be invited in for a free health check, involving a blood test, so we can determine whether your cat is blood type A or B and meets the eligibility criteria.
- Complete the form to register your cat(s).
- We will contact you to arrange an appointment at our practice for a free health check and blood type test.
- Cats who meet the criteria will be added to our feline blood bank list.
- In the event of an emergency, we will call volunteers on our donor list to see who is available to bring their cat into the practice to donate blood.