Professor Noel Fitzpatrick, originally from Laois, Ireland, is a world-class orthopaedic-neuro veterinary surgeon and managing director of one of the largest veterinary referral centres in the UK, Fitzpatrick Referrals.
Noel obtained his Bachelor of veterinary medicine from University College Dublin in 1990. Following scholarships at The University of Pennsylvania and The University of Ghent, he went on to complete the RCVS certificates in small animal orthopaedics and radiology.
Noel has attained boarded specialist status by examination in both the USA and the UK, with the degrees of ACVSMR, American College of Veterinary Sports Medicine and Rehabilitation, and DSAS(Orth), the Diploma in Small Animal Surgery (Orthopaedics).
In 2005 he opened Fitzpatrick Referrals, the UK’s pre-eminent and largest dedicated small animal orthopaedic and neuro-surgical facility in Surrey, employing over 250 veterinary professionals and comprising state of the art surgical, diagnostic and rehabilitation facilities.
Noel remains the clinical chair and chief surgeon at Fitzpatrick Referrals operating on a daily basis. He is particularly experienced in minimally invasive arthroscopic (keyhole) surgery, spinal disc disease, limb deformities, joint replacement and limb salvage for severe trauma or cancer.
Noel is recognised and respected globally as a true thought leader in his field of expertise.
He has become a trusted source of knowledge and information, who moves and inspires others with his leadership, his life-enhancing treatments, his teachings and his passion for superlative care and rehabilitation. As evidenced by:-
- Academic research: Noel has shown an unprecedented commitment to academic research from private veterinary practice, having been an author on dozens of peer-reviewed papers in the past ten years. His research has been diverse. He has established evidence for surgical techniques and implants as well as elucidation of disease epidemiology.
- Landmark papers: These include the publication of a treatment algorithm for addressing elbow dysplasia and reporting the outcomes and complication rates in a series of over 1000 consecutive tibial plateau levelling osteotomies. He has devised, tested and implemented more than twenty new procedures and implant systems in the past decade. These include new joint resurfacing and replacement technologies, techniques for growth deformity correction, limb amputation endo- and exo-prosthetics for limb salvage, metallic-tendon in-growth and fracture repair systems and implants for spinal fusion and disc replacement.
- Lectures: He has delivered more than 600 lectures in the UK, Europe and around the globe for more than a decade, including being a keynote speaker at both human and veterinary congresses. He has won many awards including the Mark S Bloomberg and Simon Awards for teaching and for contribution to veterinary surgery. He has sponsored and inspired more than forty fellowships, internships, residencies and PhDs in Europe and the USA, leading to landmark publications and embracing the marriage of high-volume high-quality clinical veterinary practice with evidence-based medicine and compassionate care, with the aim of giving all animal guardians access to all options for their animal friends. His most recent hub of co-operation is with The Ohio State University where two residents, a fellow and a PhD student, all sponsored by Fitzpatrick Referrals, are contributing to research on joint disease, limb prostheses and spinal implants.
- The Fitzpatrick Learning Academy: This unique teaching academy was set up in 2011 to facilitate dissemination of training and learning in all aspects of veterinary surgery, re-defining veterinary education with a new paradigm of dynamic, innovative and practical learner-driven platforms.
- The Fitzpatrick Referrals Rehabilitation Centre: This is an epicentre of excellence for the recovery, management and treatment of all dogs and cats especially those with arthritis, neurological disability and other mobility disorders. Noel is totally committed to a holistic approach, believing that a triumvirate of good clinical judgement and diagnostics, optimal medical and surgical intervention and superlative rehabilitation, will result in better outcomes for all orthopaedic and neurological patients. He is just as passionate in his belief that the psychological wellbeing of patients is as important as their physiological wellbeing.
- Fitzbionics: This company of which Noel is a Director, has been created to conceive, design, develop, manufacture, test and implement new implants for the alleviation of pain and suffering in animals. Implants are custom made by a group of dedicated researchers and bio-engineers for specific patients in desperate need of a solution that doesn’t exist elsewhere. A number of Fitzbionics technologies have featured not just in respected veterinary journals but also in broadcast media across the world.
- The Humanimal Trust: Noel has been instrumental in bringing the concept of One Medicine to the fore in the UK, designing and establishing a platform for the cross-pollination of expertise and ideas between veterinary and human medicine. One Medicine is at the heart of Noel’s mission and the cornerstone of The Humanimal Trust, which is the charity he has founded and the first of its kind in the UK. This landmark charity aims to fund scholarships, fellowships, internships, residencies and training programs that will facilitate proactive collaboration between vets, human doctors, bioengineers and scientists of all kinds for the benefit of all living creatures.
Noel Fitzpatrick is an Associate Professor at the University Of Florida School Of Veterinary Medicine. He recently became the foundation Professor of Orthopaedics for the new Veterinary School of The University of Surrey and he has received a Doctorate from The University of Surrey for his contribution to medical science.
See all of Noel’s publications on his Google Scholar Page
Cervical Distraction – Stabilization Using an Intervertebral Spacer Screw and String-of Pearl (SOP™) Plates in 16 Dogs With Disc-Associated Wobbler Syndrome
Judith Bertran, Miguel A. Solano, Noel Fitzpatrick:
Alex Caron, Andrew Caley, Mike Farrell, Noel Fitzpatrick:
Sliding Humeral Osteotomy: Medium‐Term Objective Outcome Measures and Reduction of Complications With a Modified Technique
Judith Bertran, Miguel Angel Solano, Noel Fitzpatrick:
Correlation Between Histopathologic, Arthroscopic, and Magnetic Resonance Imaging Findings in Dogs With Medial Coronoid Disease
Duncan Russell, Matthew J Allen, Noel Fitzpatrick, Vincent Wavreille, Wm Tod Drost:
Interprofessional initiatives between the human health professions and veterinary medical students: a scoping review
Michael Wilkes, Molly Courtenay, Noel Fitzpatrick, Pat Conrad, Roberto La Ragione:
Andy Law, Malgorzata Bielecki, Noel Fitzpatrick, Sarah Girling:
Locking plate and screw fixation after tibial plateau leveling osteotomy reduces postoperative infection rate in dogs over 50 kg
Alan Danielski, Karla Kovach, Miguel Angel Solano, Mike Farrell, Noel Fitzpatrick:
G. Blunn, J Wesmania, Noel Fitzpatrick, Tim Sparrow:
Design and application of a loop-mediated isothermal amplification assay for the rapid detection of Staphylococcus pseudintermedius
Jason Sawyer, Lisa Roberts, Noel Fitzpatrick, Onyinye Diribe, Roberto La Ragione, Sarah North:
Does Radiographic Arthrosis Correlate With Cartilage Pathology in Labrador Retrievers Affected by Medial Coronoid Process Disease?
Jane Heller, Miguel Angel Solano, Mike Farrell, Mike Kowaleski, Noel Fitzpatrick, Tim Sparrow:
Use of an ex vivo canine ventral slot model to test the efficacy of a piezoelectric cutting tool for decompressive spinal surgery
Jelena Jovanovic, Miguel Angel Solano, Mike Farrell, Noel Fitzpatrick:
Bi‐Oblique Dynamic Proximal Ulnar Osteotomy in Dogs: Reconstructed Computed Tomographic Assessment of Radioulnar Congruence over 12 weeks
Alex Caron, Miguel Angel Solano, Noel Fitzpatrick:
Linear-circular external skeletal fixation of intra-condylar humeral fractures with supracondylar comminution in four cats
D. N. Clements, H. R. Silva, Noel Fitzpatrick, Russell Yeadon:
The double-arch modified type-1b external skeletal fixator: Technique description and functional outcome for surgical management of canine antebrachial limb deformities
Christos Nikolaou, K. Perry, Mike Farrell, Noel Fitzpatrick, Russell Yeadon, Sarah Girling, T. J. Smith:
String-Of-Pearls Locking Plate and Cerclage Wire Stabilization of Periprosthetic Femoral Fractures after Total Hip Replacement in Six Dogs
Christos Nikolaou, Michael Hamilton, Noel Fitzpatrick, Russell Yeadon:
Total Hip Replacement with Dorsal Acetabular Rim Augmentation Using the SOPTM Implant and Polymethylmethacrylate Cement in Seven Dogs with Dorsal Acetabular Rim Deficiency
Malgorzata Bielecki, Michael Hamilton, Noel Fitzpatrick, Russell Yeadon:
Combined Intramedullary and External Skeletal Fixation of Metatarsal and Metacarpal Fractures in 12 Dogs and 19 Cats
Jerry O'Riordan, Jola H. Modlinska, Noel Fitzpatrick, Russell Tucker, Russell Yeadon, Thomas J. Smith:
Allen E. Goodship, Catherine J. Pendegrass, Gordon W. Blunn, Michael Ring, Noel Fitzpatrick, Russell Yeadon, Thomas J. Smith:
Predictive variables for complications after TPLO with stifle inspection by arthrotomy in 1000 consecutive dogs.
Miguel Angel Solano, Noel Fitzpatrick:
Headless self-compressing cannulated screw fixation for treatment of radial carpal bone fracture or fissure in dogs
Jacqueline Johnson, K. Perry, Noel Fitzpatrick, Russell Yeadon:
Tibial Plateau Leveling and Medial Opening Crescentic Osteotomy for Treatment of Cranial Cruciate Ligament Rupture in Dogs with Tibia Vara
Jacqueline Johnson, Kei Hayashi, Noel Fitzpatrick, Russell Yeadon, Sarah Girling:
Treatment of Incomplete Ossification of the Humeral Condyle with Autogenous Bone Grafting Techniques
Jerry O'Riordan, Noel Fitzpatrick, Russell Yeadon, Thomas J. Smith:
Noel Fitzpatrick, Richard B Evans, Russell Yeadon, Thomas J. Smith:
Early Clinical Experience with Osteochondral Autograft Transfer for Treatment of Osteochondritis Dissecans of the Medial Humeral Condyle in Dogs
Noel Fitzpatrick, Russell Yeadon, Thomas J. Smith:
Techniques of Application and Initial Clinical Experience with Sliding Humeral Osteotomy for Treatment of Medial Compartment Disease of the Canine Elbow
Kurt Schulz, Noel Fitzpatrick, Russell Yeadon, Thomas J. Smith:
Working Algorithm for Treatment Decision Making for Developmental Disease of the Medial Compartment of the Elbow in Dogs
Noel Fitzpatrick, Russell Yeadon: